Wednesday, June 25, 2014

NO HOMO


A phrase uttered by people lest you think they have any homosexual intent after saying or doing something that might be perceived as such.

Homosexuality has been a hotly debated topic over the past few years. More people have come out of the closet in the past 10 years than in the past 100 years. (Not sure if that statistic is right but lets just go with it.)

Many people think it’s a black and white topic. You’re either for the gays or against the gays. Well, I am neither. Homosexuality is a gray area for me. Basically what I’m trying to say is, you will not find me marching on the streets for gay rights, neither will you find me marching on the streets against gay rights.

As a Christian – a catholic to be specific – I was brought up to believe that homosexuality is wrong. A crime against nature and God. However, I was also brought up to treat everyone I meet with love, respect and understanding. Although, I do not understand how people can be attracted the same sex, at the end of the day it is absolutely none of my business. I was brought up to judge people based on their character and not on their sexual orientation, race or religious beliefs.

I believe that homosexuality can be considered religiously or spiritually wrong but it should not be considered legally wrong.  The government should have no right to tell you who you can or cannot spend the rest of your life with. The government has no right to tell you whom you can or cannot love. 

I’m a firm believer of the mantra ‘Live and let live” So please let gay people be. You may find them disgusting or sinful but at the end of the day their love does not affect your life.  

If you feel that as a Christian or Muslim it is your duty to try and make gays “see the light and repent from their evil ways” that is fine. Preach. Try and convert them. But if it doesn’t work LEAVE THEM ALONE. Stop pestering people! You cannot force your belief or your sense of right and wrong on someone else. At the end of the day we are all going to die one day and we are all going to face God on judgment day. So why don’t we all live our lives until that day comes and we let God be the judge?

Comments and Questions are welcome :)

- Atalia Zee

No comments:

Post a Comment